Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Return to Puli

We went back to Puli, the missus and me. With students cancelled, and only a wing to repair and some tandem flights, I could spend time working with my wife on her technique, form and perhaps, conditions permitting, top landing.

Well, the tandems were a mess. My passengers were too big for me and the old Freex glider. Ah Juen managed to get them off. I got a nice test flight on a Airwave Sport II. Top landed at the other site, kited for 3 minutes while Ah Juen tried to push me off. I managed some flying martial arts kicks and crabbing runs. Took off again and went back to the new site.

Doris and I got to fly together for a change, got a little chase going. but she, light on her Presta, was always above me on the Aeros Style.

The wind was strong and gusty. It was hard to get penetration for some of us. I talked Doris through the landing approach for top landing from the north and from the South. She performed gracefully and correctly. On her third successful landing she had a clear shot at a touch and go but failed to load the glider throughout the run.

Congratulations to Doris!!

There were over 20 pilots from the Hong Chuen club visiting. A good bunch of pilots, great attitude. I look forward to flying with them again. And Chris Yeh was out. I always learn something from that boy.

End of Sunday, D and I were skyward, enviously watching somebody fly clear across the township at about 2000 msl.
A large 'Q- me' had formed way back to the east. We were going up steadily at 6 m/s. It was nice except that I could see that she was not getting a lot of penetration. So, we got to practice big ears and speed bar and wing overs again.

"Was that fun?"
"Well, yeah, I guess. Now that it's over."
"Were you afraid?'
"Well, actually, no. I was too busy to be afraid."

No comments: